[StBernard] Jacob Dr Fire Station Question for Craig

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Jul 9 13:16:23 EDT 2007

Craig:

This is a copy of the email sent to you and Kenny Henderson (District C)
regarding any changes to Fire Protection in District C. Any specific
clarity on this Land Swap with the Parish and Murphy Oil would be
appreciated. As you know we have been asking our Industrial Neighbor to be
more open about their expansion plans and how it will impact our
neighborhood. We are all committed to the restoring / rebuilding of St
Bernard Parish in a safer , smarter, stronger manner. The Preservation of
the safety of our neighborhoods and the Quality of Life for our families is
important to us all. SJK

Gentlemen:

We want to Preserve the Quality of Life in our subdivisions and that
Includes Maintaining Existing Fire Protection, Use of Residential Streets
and Maintaining Existing Zoning of R1 Properties.

As a resident of District C in the Ohio Street Area and a member of a
neighborhood group C CAM (Concerned Citizens Around Murphy), I recently met
with Carl Zornes - PR Murphy Oil and Joey Difatta regarding how the refinery
effects the quality of life in our residential subdivision.

Besides the ongoing nuisances of noise, odors and traffic from the refinery,
Carl and Joey discussed Murphy's plans to expand onto Jacob Drive with a
maintenance building. We of course would oppose the use of Jacob Drive and
Ohio Street for any expansion into R1 zoning and for any added traffic
nuisances on these residential streets. Even Prior to Katrina, there were
countless problems of Murphy traffic and transient contractors on Jacob and
Ohio Streets. You are all well aware of the number of children and young
adults in this neighborhood and how we use Ohio Street to walk and bike
ride. The students use Ohio Street to walk to Chalmette High School Campus,
as there is no bus service because this area is only 1/10 of a mile from the
school.

These types of problems will persist anytime you allow Industry in R1
Subdivisions.

More Specifically, Carl and Joey Stated the "possible" Land Swap with the
Parish and Murphy for the Land at the present Jacob Drive Fire Station,
indicating a new Fire Station would be built WEST of the present site. We
are all for a New Fire Station, but were told it would be in the Despaux
Drive, Ventura Drive Area on Judge Perez. The Executive/Finance Committee
Recommendations on this weeks agenda indicates the land swap includes a New
Fire Station In District D.

Would you please provide more specific information about how this land swap
is going to change the fire protection in District C and whether or not this
Land Swap will have Public Hearings. It is on the Agenda for Council
Meeting Tuesday July 11, 2007 11AM

http://www.sbpg.net/councilagenda7-10-07.pdf

EXECUTIVE/FINANCE COMMITTEE RECOMMENDATIONS OF 6/21/07 and 7/5/07
26. Motion to authorize legal counsel to accept the appropriate valuation of
the Jacob Drive fire property contingent upon Murphy Oil providing a written
agreement to assist and contribute to the re-location of the fire house
facility, training center and warehouse east of the Murphy Oil site.

Thankyou
Suzanne Kneale
2114 Corinne Drive (South Area)