[StBernard] LOUISIANA NAMED STATE OF THE YEAR BY SITE SELECTION PUBLICATION

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Jul 23 21:11:31 EDT 2007

LOUISIANA NAMED STATE OF THE YEAR BY SITE SELECTION PUBLICATION
Louisiana Tops Southern Business & Development's Top 100 List

BATON ROUGE - Billions in economic development announcements in 2006 and big strides in recovery efforts helped to earn Louisiana the distinction of "State of the Year," according to Southern Business & Development magazine.

Citing the state's economic growth in spite of the challenges of hurricane recovery, the site selection publication gave Louisiana the honor in its annual spring Top 100 issue.

"The economic development performance of Louisiana in calendar year 2006 was nothing less than extraordinary, considering what the state went through in 2005," said Southern Business & Development editor Michael Randle in an editorial for the publication.

Southern Business & Development ranked Southern states on a points system based on the investment and job announcements from the previous year. The states receive scores for recruiting corporations and industries that offer a large number of jobs or investment. According to Randle, Louisiana nearly doubled its point total from the previous year, with a score of 220.

"We are extremely proud of this recognition," said Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco. "The State of the Year selection is a strong testimony to how Louisiana is turning disaster into opportunity for our citizens and our economy statewide. In 2006, businesses invested more than $11 billion in our state, generating more than 8,500 new jobs. Other companies continue to follow them to take advantage of our resources, our strategic location and assets and our productive workforce. With this kind of momentum, we will continue to move Louisiana forward."

"Right now Louisiana is a state of opportunity. LED is working on more than 180 new projects or expansions in legacy and emerging industries, to help create a more successful and diverse economy for our state," said Louisiana Economic Development Secretary Michael J. Olivier.

Southern Business & Development is a quarterly publication with a circulation of 17,300 distributed to executives in key markets and states located outside the American South. For more information on the ranking visit www.SB-D.com <http://www.SB-D.com> .

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org