[StBernard] Take Time for the Little Things

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jul 24 19:51:46 EDT 2007

With so many big things staring us in the face, it's often hard to take time
for the little things. When you think of all this area has been through and
the immense problems still to be faced, it's hard to fathom that we're still
surviving.

Katrina...Rita...FEMA...Road Home...ICF....Crime....Insurance...Incompetence
and now the threat of formaldihide for our 60,000 citizens still living in
trailers nearly two years after Katrina. It's the closest thing to a war
zone that this country has had in modern history.

Still we press on. As a member of the legislature, I have been hearing many
difficult tales in the last two years and trying to help as much as I can.
In some cases I was able to lend assistance; expediting electricity for a
church and school trying to reopen, arranging a pass on the temporarily
closed causeway for a woman whose mother was near death on the southshore
and who had never forgiven herself for missing her father's last moments,
walking emergency requests through the bureacracy in Baton Rouge to help
deliver resources back to the Northshore and even obtaining a temporary
alcohol permit for a flooded restaurant and coffee house trying to reopen in
a different location.

Unfortunately, I had less success with FEMA and Road Home. In some cases, I
was able to help but often found myself dealing with manager after manager
with replacements still using the same phone number. My contacts at the
Louisiana Recovery Authority were just as overwhelmed trying to get results
from ICF as everyone else was. I heard just about every story of
administrative incompetence that could be imagined and just when I thought I
had heard it all, someone had to endure even worse bungling. But I press on,
just like my constituents are.

I do have some good news for those over 50 looking for affordable
homeowner's insurance. A constituent whose wind and hail had been canceled
recently reported that the AARP offered very competitive insurance policies
for their members through Harford Insurance. Their number is 1-800-423-4114.
Although it may take several weeks to receive a quotation by mail, it could
be very well worth the wait.

But amidst all of the chaos and challenge, it is important to try to forget
about the big things for a while and try to enjoy the little things. Go to a
festival, take a ride, visit the French Quarter and even go out and get a
snowball. If we wait for the big things to be handled before enjoying the
little things, we may be waiting a long time. And life is just too short and
the curse that seems to be hovering over our state can only take as much
happiness from us that we let it.

Another piece of advice I can offer is also the title of Dr. Robert
Schuler's classic book, "Tough Times Don't Last But Tough People Do."

Hopefully, a new legislature and governor can finally start the formidable
task of turning this state around, and I am seeking re-election to be part
of the reform team.

Tim

I am currently seeking sign locations. If you or someone you know has a spot
available or would like to receive a Tim Burns bumper sticker, please email
me at tim at timburns.us.
Campaign donations can be made online also at www.timburns.us.