[StBernard] Foster Campbell Calls for Debates, Calls Out Jindal

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Jul 26 20:29:09 EDT 2007

News from the Foster Campbell Campaign

See our website at www.fostercampbell.com
And don't forget to Forward our Newsletter to your friends and family.

________________________________

Campbell Calls for Debates; Calls Out Jindal

Gubernatorial candidate Foster Campbell today called on his
opponents to engage in a series of debates throughout Louisiana before the
October 20 primary.

"We owe it to voters to discuss our records and our plans to
revitalize Louisiana in real debates, and not just in 30-second television
advertisements," said Campbell, a Democrat and Public Service Commissioner
representing North Louisiana.

In letters to Walter Boasso, John Georges and Bobby Jindal,
Campbell proposed a series of five debates at Louisiana universities,
beginning the week of August 20, when Louisianians have completed vacations
and children are returning to school.

"We should debate once a week in the last two months before
October 20," Campbell said. "Let the voters see us tackle the tough issues
that affect their daily lives, and let them choose the candidate who
displays the kind of leadership needed to move Louisiana forward," he said.

He proposed debates in Northwest Louisiana, Northeast Louisiana,
Southeast Louisiana, Southwest Louisiana and New Orleans, moderated either
by media or officials of the host universities.

"I'm particularly interested in calling out Mr. Jindal, who has
avoided every public forum at which I and the other candidates have appeared
during this campaign," Campbell said. "Voters need to see and hear Mr.
Jindal explain whether he'll serve them first or whether he'll continue to
parrot the lines from the Bush Administration and his special-interest
campaign contributors."

Campbell said Louisianans are looking for a Governor who will
serve average Louisiana citizens. "People I've talked to throughout this
state are concerned about their jobs and economic prospects, about their
children's education, about access to quality, affordable health care, about
highways, coastal restoration and hurricane recovery.

"It's easy for candidates to hide behind 30-second television
ads and carefully scripted appearances," he said. "That may serve
candidates, but it doesn't serve the best interests of the state and its
people." Campbell said.

Campbell is a farmer and small businessman from Bossier Parish.
He served for 27 years in the Louisiana Senate and is currently in his fifth
year as a member of the Public Service Commission. He proposes eliminating
the state corporate and personal income taxes to stimulate an economic boom.
He will make up the lost revenue by instituting a processing fee on oil and
gas processed in Louisiana. The fee will produce more than $1.7 billion in
new revenue for the state to rebuild roads, improve public schools, restore
the coastline and increase hurricane protection.

________________________________

(Below is the letter sent to Mr. John Georges. The
identical
letter was sent to each of the Gubernatorial candidates)

July 25, 2007

Mr. John Georges
2644 North Causeway Boulevard
Metairie, Louisiana 70002

Dear Mr. Georges:

To best serve the people of Louisiana as they consider who should be their
next Governor, I am proposing that we engage in a series of five debates
before the October 20 primary.

Louisianians are hungry for a leader who displays the kind of leadership
that will be responsive to the needs of their daily lives. Debates will
provide us the opportunity to discuss in detail our records and our plans to
address the serious needs of our state.

Beginning the week of August 20, I propose that we debate at state
universities in Northeast Louisiana, Northwest Louisiana, Southeast
Louisiana, Southwest Louisiana and New Orleans. In this way, we can provide
voters in every part of the state a forum for us to discuss our plans and
for them to evaluate the kind of leader each of us would be.

It's easy for politicians to hide behind 30-second television commercials.
I'm sure you and the other candidates will agree that providing voters these
chances to hear our views will best serve their interests as they decide
which of us should serve them in the next four years.

Please let me know of your acceptance as soon as possible. We can then
begin working out the details of the debates.

Sincerely,

Foster Campbell