[StBernard] E-Upate From Senator David Vitter

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jul 31 23:26:30 EDT 2007

IN THIS ISSUE

MONITORING PROGRESS IN IRAQ
LOWERING THE COST OF PRESCRIPTION DRUGS
IMPROVING THE ROAD HOME PROGRAM
SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

The U.S. Senate has been very busy the last few weeks passing higher
education legislation and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Appropriations Bill. I have also participated in many committee hearings
covering a variety of topics, including air service to rural areas, Chinese
seafood import safety, an Iraq field update and Small Business
Administration disaster loans.

Below you can read more about other issues I am working on like monitoring
progress in Iraq, lowering the cost of prescription drugs, improving the
road home program, supporting our soldiers and other key issues for
Louisiana families.

David Vitter Signature

P.S. - Please feel free to forward the newsletter to your friends, neighbors
and business associates, and encourage them to sign up for their own copy by
visiting my Web site at http://vitter.senate.gov/.

Monitoring Progress in Iraq

I recently participated in two key briefings
<http://vitter.senate.gov/?module=PressRoom/PressItem&ID=9f910887-c91c-4085-
b45f-b5fda4ef060c> on the current state of affairs in Iraq. I attended a
members' only briefing with Gen. David Petraeus and was updated by Ryan
Crocker, Ambassador to Iraq, during a U.S. Senate Foreign Relations
Committee Hearing.

It was very helpful to talk with Gen. Petraeus - our top military leader in
Iraq. I think it is very important that we understand the facts as they are
on the ground and not let policy be driven by politicians in Washington.
Ambassador Crocker updated the Foreign Relations Committee on the 18 very
detailed, specific benchmarks that were written for tracking progress in
Iraq.

Lowering the Cost of Prescription Drugs

This month I introduced and passed an amendment
<http://vitter.senate.gov/?module=PressRoom/PressItem&ID=bdba785a-44da-49d1-
858d-5cda29532f6f> to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Appropriations Bill that would allow U.S. citizens to continue importing
prescription drugs from Canada. Last year the U.S. Senate approved a
similar amendment of mine that was signed into law by the president, but my
amendment this year goes well beyond last years. My amendment this year
allows the importation of prescription drugs from Canada through the
internet and mail order and also allows more than a 90-day supply. I am
glad that my Senate colleagues saw how important this amendment is and
supported its passage.

This is another important victory in the fight for comprehensive
prescription drug reimportation. My amendment will provide more access to
affordable prescription drugs for residents of Louisiana and other states
that aren't close to the Canadian border.

Improving the Road Home Program

I also introduced an amendment
<http://vitter.senate.gov/?module=PressRoom/PressItem&ID=d11ff351-a1e5-4c77-
afdb-83bd450954ae> to the DHS bill to free up nearly $1.2 billion in
federal relief funds that Louisiana could use to fill the Road Home
shortfall.

My amendment directly addresses concerns raised by FEMA shortly after it
rejected the Louisiana Recovery Authority application to use hazard
mitigation grants for the Road Home Program, and makes a concerted effort to
clear those hurdles so that we can free up these federal dollars for the
Road Home program.

Unfortunately the amendment was blocked by procedural rules, but I will
continue working to help further Louisiana's hurricane recovery.

Supporting our Soldiers

This month the U.S. Senate passed legislation
<http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:s.01606:> with my strong
support that gives our soldiers a pay increase, as well as increases medical
care programs for returning troops. The legislation will overhaul the
military health care system, something that is necessary to make sure our
soldiers receive the medical care and attention they deserve.

This legislation is vital to our soldiers, and it is important that we
support the men and women who are fighting for our freedom here in this
country and abroad. The legislation will now go to a U.S. Senate-U.S. House
of Representatives Conference Committee.