[StBernard] ACTION ALERT Support Veto Session for Bridge Safety

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Aug 3 00:40:36 EDT 2007

Support Veto Session for Bridge Safety

The terrible tragedy of the bridge collapse in Minnesota has given yet
another compelling reason to hold a veto session. One of the bills vetoed
during the regular session was SB 146 which established a Windfall Highway,
Infrastructure and Protection Fund and provided critical funds for the state
infrastructure projects including bridges. According to the Federal Highway
Administration approximately 1/3 of the bridges in Louisiana are
structurally deficient or obsolete.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/bridge/defbr04.htm

Currently 37 House members (16 shy of a majority) and 17 senate members (3
shy of a majority) have turned in their ballots declaring that a veto
session is not necessary and remaining members have until midnight TONIGHT
to do so. It is critically important that you contact your legislator
IMMEDIATELY and request that they NOT send in their ballot. If they have
already returned their ballot, please request that they revoke their
declaration that a veto session is not necessary with the following language
"I hereby revoke my previous declaration that a veto session is not
necessary and hereby declare that is is necessary that a veto session of the
Louisiana Legislature be convened on Tuesday, August 7, 2007 to consider
bills vetoed by the Governor which were passed during the 2007 Regular
Session." The revocations of House members can be faxed until midnight c/o
Speaker of the House at 225-342-8336 and of Senators can be faxed c/o
President of the Senate at 225-342-0602.

To contact your legislator follow the steps below.

To determine who your legislator is, click here
<http://www.legis.state.la.us/> . Then, click on "How do I...?" in the left
column. Under "Legislator Questions"click on "How do I determine who is my
legislator?"

For a list of legislators, Click Here
<http://www.legis.state.la.us/bios.htm> .

Tim

Related:

I periodically send out newsletters on items of interest to the public. If
you would like to be added to my newsletter list, please click here
<http://timburns.us/newsletter/join.html> .