[StBernard] La. delegation unites against WRDA veto

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Aug 3 00:54:58 EDT 2007

The News from Congressman Richard H. Baker
Sixth District, Louisiana
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: August 2, 2007
CONTACT: Michael DiResto, 225-929-7711

La. delegation unites against WRDA veto

WASHINGTON – U.S. Rep. Richard Baker, R-Baton Rouge, today released a letter signed by every member of the Louisiana congressional delegation urging President Bush to reconsider his veto threat against the Water Resources and Development Act (WRDA), legislation that promises historic investments of more than $3 billion for Louisiana flood control, hurricane protection, coastal restoration, waterway improvements, and ecosystem rehabilitation projects. The conference report on the bill passed the House 381-40 last night.

The text of the letter appears below.

--------

August 2, 2007

The Honorable George W. Bush
President of the United States
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, D.C. 20500

Dear Mr. President:

We respectfully request you to reconsider your position on H.R. 1495, the conference report on the Water Resources Development Act of 2007 (WRDA).

Since Congress last enacted a water resources bill in 2000, many of the projects authorized in H.R. 1495 have been pending for years, including the authorization of critical projects in Louisiana. Furthermore, WRDA includes the historic creation of the Louisiana Coastal Area, a vital and comprehensive program for the restoration of our coast.

We stand united behind H.R. 1495, and will support any efforts to override a veto of this important legislation.

Sincerely,

[signed]

Mary L. Landrieu
U.S. Senator

David Vitter
U.S. Senator

Richard H. Baker
Member of Congress

Jim McCrery
Member of Congress

William Jefferson
Member of Congress

Rodney Alexander
Member of Congress

Charles Boustany
Member of Congress

Bobby Jindal
Member of Congress

Charlie Melancon
Member of Congress

-30-

For more news about Congressman Baker, please visit
www.baker.house.gov