[StBernard] flooded truck

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Aug 6 21:04:23 EDT 2007

Gaby,

I will answer this one.

Under the St. Bernard Home Rule Charter, the Council is suppose to deal with
legislative matters while the Parish President deals with executive matters.

As part of that separation, the Council is suppose to be hands off in
dealing with any administration offices and employees. In strict terms, the
Council is not suppose to talk with any parish employee about any parish
business. Period.

If you have a problem getting a building permit, it should be addressed to
the administration. If you don't like the codes that need to be met for a
building permit, then you talk to your councilman.

Since the storm, I'm guessing Junior has been a little lax in that
separation of powers. Now with the election coming up, he doesn't want to
give any undue perception of power to anyone else.

This is not something that is unique to St. Bernard Parish. It is like this
in every parish that has a Home Rule Charter.

As an example, in Lafourche Parish, a resident asked their Councilman about
having garbage trucks start picking up on a newly developed street. The
Councilman talked directly to the garbage company rather than going to the
administration. By adding the new street, the Councilman could have set off
an increase in the parishes garbage contract. Something that only the
Parish President can do, so long as she does not exceed the amount that the
entire Council had approved earlier.

Westley