[StBernard] Candidates for governor speak at municipal association

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Aug 6 21:24:00 EDT 2007

Candidates for governor speak at municipal association

MONROE, La. (AP) -- Democrat Walter Boasso got some of his hosts irritated
before he said a word in Saturday's Louisiana Municipal Association forum
for candidates for governor.

The state senator from Chalmette put a cardboard cutout of Republican U.S.
Rep. Bobby Jindal in a seat on the stage where he and five other candidates
- not including Jindal - were sitting. He put it away before the forum
started, and talked about Louisiana's economic conditions.

The forum, held on the last day of the LMA's 70th convention, was
emphatically not a debate. Candidates were asked to introduce themselves to
the group's membership and give a brief speech.

"One-third of the state's economy has been decimated," Boasso said. "If we
don't bring it back, the question is, Can Alexandria, Shreveport and Monroe
pick it up for the rest of Louisiana?"

Jindal had been scheduled to speak Saturday at the convention, though not to
participate in the forum. LMA President Lynn Lewis of Delhi said votes kept
Jindal in Washington.

The six who did attend included state Public Service Commissioner Foster
Campbell, Jefferson Parish businessman John Georges, Bunkie Libertarian T.
Lee Horne III, St. Tammany Parish independent Anthony Gentile and Lake
Charles attorney Hardy Parkerson.

Campbell, a Democrat, said the state has squandered its natural resources
and needs new leadership. He said some politicians make promises they cannot
keep, but he got things done in the Legislature.

"Before politicians tell you what they are going to do, you need to ask them
what they have done," Campbell said. "We need to get the politicians out of
preaching distance."

Georges said his experience in economic development and disdain for partisan
politics sets him apart from other candidates in the race. Georges said his
appointment to the state's Board of Regents by Gov. Edwin Edwards was proof
that he can work with both major political parties.

"We're all tired of partisan politics," Georges said. "We need a governor
who knows how to do the job."

Horne, a Libertarian from Bunkie, said the Legislature shouldn't order local
government to do anything without providing money to get it done.

"Local government knows what's best for it," Horne said. "I'll also back the
best possible ethics laws in the state."

Gentile said he's also for ethics reform and a change in leadership. "A
fresh start isn't what we need. What we need is a change of direction," he
said.

Parkerson drew a standing ovation when he said that if he's elected, he
wouldn't live in the Gov.'s Mansion.

"I've never held a public office," Parkerson said. "But when I'm elected,
I'll live in an RV on the grounds because I'll need Jim Brown and Edwin
Edwards there to run the state."