[StBernard] New HBO documentary of the atomic bomb drops on Japan

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Aug 11 22:11:23 EDT 2007

My understanding is that we offered the Japanese several opportunities to
surrender and they would not. I believe they were advised that they would
suffer destruction such as had never before had been witnessed and they
still fought on.

They were warned, they fought on, they lost. End of story.

Jim

After recently watching the compelling (and graphic) new HBO
documentary
about the atomic bomb drops on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, I was left
with the
following three thoughts: first, I thought about all the innocent
Americans
killed on December 7th, 1941 and some whose remains still reside in
the hull
of the U.S.S. Arizona at the bottom of Pearl Harbor; second, I
thought about
the thousands of American soldiers killed (or really murdered) on
the death
marches in Bataan; and last, I thought... "payback is a real bitch."

- John Scurich