[StBernard] New HBO documentary of the atomic bomb drops on Japan

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Aug 13 22:26:37 EDT 2007

Jer,

In regards to future scenarios and whether or not using nuclear weapons will
be justified, I'll worry about crossing that bridge when or if we get to it.
As for the past and the discussed specific situation the Japanese brought
upon themselves, it's a bit easier to discern between justified and
unjustified. Still, I'm not sure how the concept of "justification" ever
got into the mix of decision making. When anti-nukes talk about
"justification" for using nukes, what they really mean is they want some
sort of "rational" explaination to the justification - and there lies the
problem - because there is no such thing as an objective rationale to
justification. Each person, each government takes action based on what it
deems or deemed necessary. All one can do after the fact is either agree or
disagree.

Boy, I just knew all those philosophy classes the Jesuits forced me to take
was going to come in handy one day.

- John Scurich