[StBernard] Baker announces $1.1 million grant for St. Helena Parish

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Aug 17 23:10:22 EDT 2007

The News from Congressman Richard H. Baker
Sixth District, Louisiana
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: August 16, 2007
CONTACT: Megan Bel, (202) 225-3901

Baker announces $1.1 million grant for St. Helena Parish

WASHINGTON – U.S. Rep. Richard Baker, R-Baton Rouge, announced today that St. Helena Parish will receive a federal hazard mitigation grant of $1,106,475 to upgrade three critical facilities.

The grant will be used to retrofit the Emergency Operations Center , Sheriff’s Office, and St. Helena Parish Hospital . Proposed upgrades include a hurricane resistant roofing system for the hospital designed to withstand winds up to 110 miles per hour and fixed exterior screen systems to protect windows from wind-related damage.

“As we continue our preparation for future disasters, it is imperative that we make necessary improvements to our local communications, law enforcement and health care centers,” Baker said. “This grant provides essential funding to upgrade and harden the critical facilities that will serve Louisianans in the event of another disaster.”

The FEMA Hazard Mitigation Program provides grants to states and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures after a major disaster declaration.

-30-

For more news about Congressman Baker, please visit

www.baker.house.gov <http://www.baker.house.gov/>