[StBernard] Clinton to Join Landrieu for "Hope and Recovery Summit"

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Aug 17 23:37:36 EDT 2007

*** UPDATED: EVENT AUGUST 27 ***

Clinton & Edwards to Join Landrieu for "Hope & Recovery Summit"
Event will feature five recovery-related issue panels and Q&A
sessions/remarks with Presidential candidates.

WASHINGTON - United States Senator Mary L. Landrieu will host a "Hope &
Recovery Summit" on Monday, August 27, 2007, to commemorate the second
anniversary of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita and the devastating flooding that
followed. The summit will feature recovery-related panel discussions
followed by a question and answer session and remarks with Presidential
candidates, including Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., and former Sen. John
Edwards, D-N.C. Every Democratic and Republican Presidential candidate was
invited to participate, and others may join the Presidential Forum.

"As the second anniversary of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita approaches, we are
reminded of the significant challenges that lie ahead for our recovery,"
Sen. Landrieu said. "The next President will bear significant
responsibility for the Gulf Coast's ongoing recovery, and this forum will
give Louisianians and the rest of the country an opportunity to hear the
candidates' approaches for reforming our national emergency preparedness and
facilitating our continued recovery."

"Two years ago, a natural disaster became a national disgrace," Sen. Clinton
said. "Rebuilding this city is not a New Orleans obligation or a Louisiana
obligation. It is an American obligation. And the time for action with
real measurable results is right now. I look forward to joining my friend
Senator Landrieu at this forum to discuss how the federal government can
finally do its part to help New Orleans' recovery."

"We are not the country of the Superdome in New Orleans after Katrina," Sen.
Edwards said. "We can do better. We have a moral responsibility to get New
Orleans back on its feet. I applaud Senator Landrieu for organizing this
forum and bringing New Orleans the national attention it needs and
deserves."

The all-day summit will include five panel discussions with national and
local leaders on key issues related to hurricane recovery and preparedness:
Coastal Protection, Levees and Infrastructure; Education; Business Recovery;
Rebuilding the Criminal Justice System; and Housing and Sustainable
Community Recovery.

"The intent is not to revisit old debates over fault and failure in the days
and months after the hurricanes - that is a road well tread," Sen. Landrieu
said. "This summit is a forum for fresh ideas and new paths forward for a
great city and region."

The schedule for the "Hope & Recovery Summit" is below but is subject to
change as the event approaches.

Your coverage is invited.

What: "Hope & Recovery Summit"

When: August 27, 2007
9:00 am. CDT

Where: University of New Orleans
Lindy C. Boggs International Conference Center Auditorium
2045 Lakeshore Drive
New Orleans, LA 70122

Schedule:

9:00 am. - University of New Orleans Chancellor Dr. Timothy Ryan introduces
Sen. Landrieu

9:05 am. - Sen. Landrieu delivers opening remarks

9:15 am. - Panel #1: Coastal Restoration, Levees and Infrastructure

Panelists (subject to change):

* J. Richard Capka, Administrator of Federal Highways, U.S.
Department of Transportation

* Brigadier General Robert Crear, Commander, Mississippi Valley
Division, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers

* Randy Hanchey, Deputy Secretary, Louisiana Department of Natural
Resources; Team Leader, Integrated Planning Team for the Coastal Protection
and Restoration Authority State Master Plan.

* Carlton Dufrechou, Executive Director of the Lake Pontchartrain
Basin Foundation

* Jerome Zeringue, Executive Director of the Terrebonne Levee and
Conservation District

* Randy Roach, Mayor, City of Lake Charles

10:30 am. - Break

10:45 am. - Panel #2: Education

K-12 Panelists (subject to change):

* Ollie Tyler, Louisiana Deputy Superintendent of Education

* Paul Vallas, Recovery School District Superintendent

* Doris Voitier, St. Bernard Parish Schools Superintendent

* Matt Candler, CEO, New Schools for New Orleans

* Linda Johnson, President, Louisiana Board of Elementary and
Secondary Education

Higher Education Panelists (subject to change):

* Dr. Norman Francis, President, Xavier University / LRA Chairman

* Scott Cowen, President, Tulane University

* Dr. Joseph Savoie, Louisiana Commissioner of Higher Education

* Dr. Timothy Ryan, Chancellor, University of New Orleans

12:15 pm. - Lunch Break

1:00 pm. - Remarks by the Honorable Steven Preston, Administrator, U.S.
Small Business Administration

1:15 pm. - Panel #3: Business Recovery

Panelists (subject to change):

* Harry Alford, President & CEO, National Black Chamber of Commerce

* Ronald N. Langston, National Director, Minority Business
Development Agency

* Darlene Kattan, Executive Director, Louisiana Hispanic Chamber of
Commerce

* Andy Kopplin, Executive Director, Louisiana Recovery Authority

* Eugene Cornelius, Louisiana District Director, U.S. Small Business
Administration

* Mark Drennen, President & CEO, Greater New Orleans, Inc.

* Ernest Broussard, Executive Director of Planning & Development,
Cameron Parish Recovery (AICP/CECD)

2:30 pm. - Break

2:45 pm. - Panel #4: Rebuilding the Criminal Justice System

Panelists (subject to change):

* Jim Letten, U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Louisiana

* Warren Riley, Chief, New Orleans Police Department

* Bob Stellingworth, New Orleans Police and Justice Foundation

* Ruthie Frierson, Citizens for One Greater New Orleans

* Mike Ranatza, Executive Director, Louisiana Commission on Law
Enforcement and Administration of Criminal Justice

* Terry Ebbert, Director of Emergency Preparedness, City of New
Orleans

4:00 pm. - Break

4:15 pm. - Panel #5: Housing and Sustainable Community Recovery

Panelists (subject to change):

* James R. Kelly, CEO of Catholic Charities and Providence Community
Housing.

* Melissa Flournoy, President and CEO, Louisiana Association of
Nonprofit Organizations

* Milton Bailey, President, Louisiana Housing Finance Authority
(LHFA)

* Mtumshi St. Julien, President, N.O. Finance Authority

* Reverend Marshall Truehill, Senior Pastor, First United Baptist
Church

* Ralph Boyd, Chairman, Freddie Mac Foundation

* Ken Bacon, Executive Vice President, Fannie Mae

* Elizabeth "Boo" Thomas, President and CEO, Center for Planning
Excellence

* Major General Hunt Downer, Assistant Adjutant General, Louisiana
National Guard
* Sean Reilly, Louisiana Speaks Champion; Louisiana Recovery Authority
Support Foundation Boardmember; President of Lamar Advertising.

5:30 pm. - Break

Presidential Forum

6:30 pm. - Q & A/Remarks: Sen. Edwards

7 pm. - Q & A/Remarks: Sen. Clinton