[StBernard] water pressure

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Aug 22 23:57:58 EDT 2007

First, I am grateful for the clean water we have. It was the first utility
that came back on line after the storm and without it, we never could have
continued clean up as bringing jugs of tap water a dozen gallons at a time
to salvage stuff out the muck and use the bathroom was our limit. We enough
to meet all our needs, it has never been out of service since then, and I
don't complain about the rates (you should see what the city's people will
be paying soon).

However, I am concerned about enough water pressure to fight a fire. If my
water sprinklers or hose is on, no one can shower upstairs. That means the
pressure must be below the 60psi normal standard. And of course, it's due to
the many broken lines we have, just as Orleans does. Sometimes in the CBD
during the week the toilets barely flush above ground level if demand is
high, which worries people about a fire, too. I was at the fire at the
riverfront awhile back at an old wharf under demolition and saw firsthand
that the bucket brigade of helicopters scooping river water and dropping it
on the old wharf is what quenched it. I believe those FEMA provided
helicopters have been discontinued in the city.

Fire is an a real danger. With our heat wave, please be careful with all the
dry grass and debris around and lit cigarettes being tossed out of cars. I
continue to be amazed at the fireworks people shoot off for 4th of July and
New Years. If they want to burn down their house, that's bad enough but have
you noticed how they always seem to aim the bottle rockets at a neighbor's
house? ddk