[StBernard] Governor Blanco issues statement on Administration's commitment for $7.5 billion to fund 100-year fl

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Aug 23 20:34:33 EDT 2007

Well...if she and both sides of the aisle in the legislature had not gone
crazy with the surpluses (which will not last) we might have been able to
have the funds for the cost-share. What got me was the amount of recurring
expenses that were added on, to be paid for by surpluses that may last
another year or two at the most. Not fiscally smart at all.

Jim

Governor Blanco issues statement on Administration's commitment for
$7.6 billion to fund 100-year flood protection

BATON ROUGE - Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco issued the
following statement regarding Federal Coordinator of Gulf Coast Rebuilding
Chairman Donald E. Powell's expected announcement that $7.6 billion is
needed for 100-year Gulf Coast flood protection.

"Chairman Powell's announcement of $7.6 billion to be requested in
the President's budget to fund 100-year levee protection is welcomed and
appreciated. At the same time, we recognize that the burden placed on the
state to identify $2.6 billion currently projected as the state's cost share
to rebuild these federal levees would be nearly impossible to accomplish. As
our delegation works with the President, it is critical that he is convinced
to relieve all or a significant portion of that burden from our shoulders."

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org