[StBernard] Landrieu Comments on Chosen Downtown Site for NOLA VA Medical Center

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Aug 23 21:10:10 EDT 2007

Landrieu Comments on Chosen Downtown Site for

NOLA VA Medical Center

WASHINGTON - United States Senator Mary L. Landrieu, D-La., today commented
on the Department of Veterans Affairs decision for the VA Medical Center in
New Orleans to be rebuilt on 34 acres downtown, with South Rocheblave Street
to the north, South Galvez Street to the south, Tulane Avenue to the west
and Canal Street to the east. Sen. Landrieu wrote Veterans Affairs Secretary
James Nicholson a letter on April 30 endorsing the rebuilding of the
hospital in downtown New Orleans.

Sen. Landrieu said:

"It is great news for our recovery and economic revitalization that the
chosen spot for the VA medical center is in downtown New Orleans. The center
will serve the 220,000 veterans that call south Louisiana home, giving them
a convenient place to get care, and will be a major local employer. I will
be working with the VA and local leaders to ensure that any remaining review
processes are done in a timely and smooth manner and construction is begun
as soon as possible."

- 30 -