[StBernard] LRA Board Member Responds to FEMA Program to Provide Relocation Assistance

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Aug 28 22:30:06 EDT 2007

LRA Board Member Dr. Calvin Mackie Responds to FEMA Program to Provide Relocation Assistance to Louisiana Residents

NEW ORLEANS (August 28, 2007)-Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA) Board Member and Human Services Task Force Chair Dr. Calvin Mackie issued the following statement in response to the Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) decision to provide relocation assistance to Louisiana residents.

"Thousands of Louisianians were evacuated in the aftermath of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita to more than 5,500 cities across the United States. Since then our citizens have told us time and again that the number one obstacle to returning was a lack of resources. Recognizing this, Governor Blanco crafted a proposal and asked the Louisiana Legislature to provide more than $67 million in matching funds for a FEMA relocation assistance program earlier this year. Fortunately, because the 110th Congress waived our match, the cost share for this program is no longer required, and for this we are truly grateful.

"We are also pleased that FEMA has granted our request to recognize the cost of returning home as a disaster-related expense. Today's announcement gives new hope to many of our citizens that have been longing to return, and we look forward to the coming days and weeks as they begin to access these much needed funds and begin making their way back home."

###