[StBernard] Clerk of Court follow up

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Sep 1 08:05:38 EDT 2007

Firstly, my condolences to the entire Torres/Nunez family with the recent
loss of their loved one, Anthony Torres.

That said, I'm pointing out a "dynasty" that occurred with each generation
from Sidney Torres, to wife, Lena and in all respects, daughter Lena.
Nepotism? Things point to relatives occupying one of the most powerful
offices in the parish, voted into the position or not. Surely, voters must
consider all that this dangerous practice induces by having a
"Family-Office" within a Public Office. I do not care how effective or
non-effective an office is run at the price of nepotism and favoritism in
public office.

Surely, one would counter the argument with examples of Presidents Bush or
the Clintons. However, those positions are held non-concurrently. There were
NO gaps in leadership. No chance for others to prove their aptness of
producing a successful and efficient office aside from many, many, many
years of the "same-old, same-old" (as Mr. Boasso would probably say).

I've never met you personally, Ms. Quillin. Perhaps St. Bernard should weigh
all of their choices for best person for the Clerk of Court position and I'm
sure as intelligent as they are, they will do what they need to do to get
the best person in office.

New direction, new leadership? We shall see if St. Bernard now needs a new
Clerk of Court - Post-Katrina.

--jer-

Jer - thank you so much for the well wishes and I have to agree with you
100%. Randy Nunez is also running for the Clerk's position and it appears
that he has the same initiative about bringing our clerk's office out of the
dark ages. I invite anyone with the experience and knowledge to qualify
September 4, 5 and 6 for the Clerk of Court position. We need new
leadership. Katrina has given St. Bernard Parish a chance to start over - a
new beginning wherein we have the ability to fix things that were broken and
damaged and make St. Bernard Parish a shinning star for Louisiana (my
opinion, of course).

Wendy