[StBernard] E-Update From Senator David Vitter

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Sep 5 23:00:04 EDT 2007

IN THIS ISSUE

VISITING IRAQ
STRENGTHENING OUR MILITARY
IMPROVING HURRICANE AND FLOOD PROTECTION

During this August recess I have been traveling around the state, including
visits to Barksdale Air Force Base in Bossier Parish and to Fort Polk in
Vernon Parish. Both meetings were productive, and I am looking forward to
great things both bases are working on for the future.

Wednesday, August 29th marks the two-year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina.
We have come a long way in those two years, but there is still much
rebuilding to do. Our recovery will get a real boost when the U.S. Senate
passes the Water Resources Development Act (WRDA). Once the U.S. Senate
reconvenes after Labor Day, WRDA will receive a vote, and I am confident
that my colleagues will see how important this bill is to not just south
Louisiana but the entire state.

Below you can read more about other issues I am working on like the upcoming
debate on Iraq, strengthening our military, reaching an agreement on WRDA
and other key issues for Louisiana families.

David Vitter Signature

P.S. - Please feel free to forward the newsletter to your friends, neighbors
and business associates, and encourage them to sign up for their own copy by
visiting my Web site at http://vitter.senate.gov/.

Visiting Iraq

In the middle of August I traveled to Iraq
<http://vitter.senate.gov/?module=PressRoom/PressItem&ID=cb2c8f97-53b1-4313-
98fc-d8ebb257676f> . This was my third trip to the Middle East, and this
trip to Iraq was very productive. It gave me the opportunity to thank our
troops - including many from Louisiana - for their enormous sacrifices. I
also saw first hand the situation on the ground before the large and
important debate on Iraq in Congress this September

I had a number of important meetings while I was in Iraq including a meeting
with General Patreaus and Ambassador Crocker, a meeting with both of the
Iraqi vice presidents - one Sunni, one Shia - and meetings with many of the
forces on the ground. We also met with local sheiks, who - Sunni and Shia -
are working very cooperatively with our military. All of this was very
significant to see as Congress goes into a very important Iraq debate in
September.

Strengthening our Military

Recently I introduced legislation that would strengthen the law pertaining
to military recruiters
<http://vitter.senate.gov/?module=PressRoom/PressItem&ID=58c5f0e9-9b29-4be7-
91f5-568e0a528c66> and their access to the basic contact information of
students. I authored the original provision in the No Child Left Behind
Act, which the president signed into law in 2002. Current law requires any
high school that receives federal funds to provide military recruiters the
same access to the school campus that is provided to businesses and
institutions of higher education.

If our high schools allow businesses, colleges and other organizations
access to schools for recruitment, why should we not allow our armed forces
that same access. The military offers employment, training and education to
students who, without access to recruiters, would not be aware of such
opportunities. My bill further clarifies a parent's right and authority to
choose whether to opt-out their child from the recruitment measures, ending
campaigns by activists who try to supersede or go around a parent's
authority.

Improving Hurricane and Flood Protection

Before the U.S. Senate recessed for the month of August, an important
agreement was reached on the Water Resources Development Act
<http://vitter.senate.gov/?module=PressRoom/PressItem&ID=0df64b1a-2209-4da1-
821c-8e4d877387ba> (WRDA) by the U.S. Senate-U.S. House of Representatives
legislative conference committee, and the legislation that was produced by
this committee included many critical priorities that I helped secure for
Louisiana.

Some of the key projects that were included are closing and restoring MRGO,
authorizing full 100-year level of protection for the greater New Orleans
area, flood prevention and protection measures in northeast and northwest
Louisiana and navigation projects for southwest Louisiana. The final WRDA
agreement will be voted on when the U.S. Senate reconvenes after Labor Day.