[StBernard] Baker announces $581, 853 in hazard mitigation grants for Ascension and Iberville Parishes

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Sep 7 19:44:59 EDT 2007

The News from Congressman Richard H. Baker
Sixth District, Louisiana
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: September 6, 2007
CONTACT: Megan Bel, (202) 225-3901

Baker announces $581,853 in hazard mitigation grants for Ascension and Iberville Parishes

WASHINGTON – U.S. Rep. Richard Baker, R-Baton Rouge, today announced grants totaling nearly $600,000 for hazard mitigation projects in Ascension and Iberville Parishes.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) obligated $425,978 in funding through its Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) to acquire three residential properties in Prairieville, St. Amant, and Gonzales. The HMGP funding provides mitigation alternatives to reduce or eliminate long-term risks for properties affected by hurricanes Katrina and Rita. With these funds, local governments will purchase the properties and remove flood-prone structures, thus eliminating future damages and reducing potential health and safety risks. An additional $43,375 was set aside to elevate a severe repetitive loss structure in Gonzales.

FEMA has also approved $112,500 for Iberville Parish to upgrade existing hazard mitigation plans. This grant, funded through the Expanded Mitigation Strategies Planning Grant Pilot, will allow Iberville Parish to update their hazard mitigation plans to incorporate newly identified properties with flooding and drainage problems.

“I am pleased that our communities are receiving additional hazard mitigation grants,” Baker said. “These grants provide exciting opportunities for communities and homeowners to break the cycle of disaster damage and reduce our area’s number of repetitive flood loss properties.”

-30-

For more news about Congressman Baker, please visit

www.baker.house.gov <http://www.baker.house.gov/>