[StBernard] Bobby Jindal - Above the Law, Below the table.

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Sep 10 21:20:57 EDT 2007

Thank you, John, for taking the time to offer up this information...what a
pleasure amid the ugly campaign rhetoric. Although we are supporting
different candidates, I truly appreciate you stepping up...that's a quality
that matters to me.
Cindy Meyers

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!! This is the biggest bunch of b.s. Look, I'm
for
Walter, but I can't stand by and watch this "nobody who appears out
of left
field" get away with this. Having run several campaigns and filled
out
countless campaign compliance reports for clients, let me set the
record
straight on this.

The ONLY way Jindal is required to report the mail out expenditure
by the
State GOP is IF Jindal was involved in the planning, development
and/or
mailing of the "mail out." If a third party organization on its own
does
any activity on behalf of a candidate without any knowledge of or by
the
candidate, it is categorized as an "independent expenditure" by the
third
party organization and the candidate does not need to report it as
an "in
kind" contribution - which is what this guy is getting at.

Let me give you a real life example from personnel experience. When
I was
helping Mr. Dean in his re-election bid for State Senate back in
1999, he
refused to spend money on a mail out (gee, what a surprise - Lynn
Dean not
wanting to spend money?) nor would he accept contributions. So, I
approached several business people, the late Mr. Billy Nungesser
among them
and leaders from some state-wide business groups, to quickly form a
political/NPO group where they could pool their donations and send
mail outs
and buy TV time for Senator Dean. (I should note that I had no
official
title or position in Mr. Dean's campaign, so I was not officially
intervening for him.) - he did not know about this.

This group of business people did exactly what I suggested, in
record time I
might add, and we met in Belle Chasse to start planning what we
would do for
Mr. Dean, independent of his knowledge of this activity. And to keep
things
even more kosher, it was suggested I leave just prior to the meeting
beginning so no one could even vaguely accuse me, thus Mr. Dean's
campaign,
of being part of whatever activity the "group" was going to do for
him.
This way, Mr. Dean would not have to claim their efforts as an
in-kind
contribution. I should note this group was comprised of a couple of
Plaquemines parish lawyers who were extrememly knowledgeable of
campaign
compliance laws and ethics. They both gave the green light to what
was
taking place.

Sure, the Jindal campaign can admit that they "presume" the State
GOP will
do mail outs or other activities on behalf of Bobby Jindal (since
he's the
GOP official candidate), but so long as they have no direct
participation in
those activities, reporting them as an in-kind contribution is NOT
required
by law or ethics.

So, this guy Stow-Serge is dead wrong and his letter to the
Campaign/Ethics
committee is nothing more than hype - IF it was ever "really" sent
to the
Ethics committee?

Also, on a side note, a few years later I did eventually tell Mr.
Dean what
Billy Nungesser and several others did for him.

John Scurich