[StBernard] Landrieu Comments on Petraeus/Crocker Testimony

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Sep 11 22:36:18 EDT 2007

Landrieu Comments on Petraeus/Crocker Testimony

WASHINGTON - United States Senator Mary L. Landrieu, D-La., today commented
on testimony given by General David H. Petraeus, Commander of the
Multi-National Force-Iraq, and Ryan C. Crocker, U.S. Ambassador to Iraq,
before the House Armed Services and Foreign Affairs Committees. They will
testify before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee tomorrow.

Sen. Landrieu said:

"When taken in concert with the analysis of other officials and independent
observers, today's testimony does little to assuage my conviction that a
change of strategy is needed in Iraq. The Iraqis must meet every necessary
benchmark to stand up their government, and the Government Accountability
Office says they have met only three of 18 benchmarks so far. We are
expending precious soldiers' lives and resources policing a civil war, and
it is clear that our nation's priorities continue to be misdirected.

"While I may not share the General's optimism regarding the surge's success,
I do believe that he is an admirable soldier who has served our nation with
distinction throughout his career. Suggestions to the contrary serve simply
as political distractions from the real issues at hand. If we learned
anything from Vietnam, it is that we should not blame our brave troops for
the strategic failings of the political command structure.

"Let me also be absolutely clear: so long as there are U.S. forces in Iraq,
I will continue to oppose any attempt to cut funds essential to their
protection. If anything, more needs to be invested in protecting our troops
in this unconventional theater to which we deployed with largely
conventional equipment.

"Finally, I intend to continue my fight to refocus our nation's attention
back on capturing or killing the perpetrators of the September 11 attacks --
Osama bin Laden, Ayman al-Zawahiri and their al Qaeda terrorist network. Bin
Laden's newly released video indicates he's alive and well, busy plotting
new attacks against us."

- 30 -