[StBernard] Sheriff's Race

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Sep 11 22:48:48 EDT 2007

JDR,

I never did, or never would be critical of Jack Stephens. I like him and
think he acted herocially during the hurricane. I just feel feel that Mr.
Bernadas is every bit as qualified be sheriff as Sheriff Stephens. I do not

agree with you that all of Mr.Bernadas' experience has been in a class room
and that he has no real experience in the field. I know first hand that he
does. No one investigates, and solves crimes all by themselves. There is a

team that works together and each has their job. There is no shame in being
educated in criminal behavior and techniques to help solve and prevent
crime. It is a positive and only adds to a candidates ability. It is not
an easy task to get a job in the FBI. One has to be very qualified and
competent. I also do not agree that that Mr. Bernadas was "boasting or
bragging about his wall documents" by simply stating his qualifications and

credentials. Isn't that what candidates should do so we can get to know
them and who they are so we can make an informed decision? You say you are
not trying to belittle him, yet you use words like "dinky buttons" and "wall

diplomas" as if these things mean nothing. They do mean something and
represent training, hard work, understanding of criminal behavior,
dedication, the sort of thing that moves the average patrolman up in rank.
Mr. Maitre, Mr. Arnold may very well be good candidates and able to do the
job. I just don't feel they are the best person for the job. Now Mr.
Landry, I know a little more about him and would not vote for him. I just
don't like him for personal reasons and the favoratism he has shown in the
past. I don't think that is what we need in St. Bernard.

Laurie