[StBernard] Governor Blanco proclaims this week as "We Don't Serve Teens Week"

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Sep 11 22:56:52 EDT 2007

Governor Blanco proclaims this week as "We Don't Serve Teens Week"
Louisiana joins national underage drinking prevention campaign

BATON ROUGE - Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco has proclaimed the week of September 10-14 as "We Don't Serve Teens Week" in support of a nationwide initiative to reduce teen drinking.

"Teen drinking is linked to risky behavior and injury," said Governor Blanco. "Louisiana endorses educational campaigns that spread the word about underage drinking and how we can reduce teen access to alcohol. Government agencies, private entities, and citizens should all work together for the sake of our teenagers. Their lives depend on it."

Research shows most teens who drink alcohol get it from social sources, including at parties, from older friends or from their own homes without permission. The "We Don't Serve Teens" program, sponsored by the Federal Trade Commission, is designed to combat teen access to alcohol. Resources available on the program website, www.dontserveteens.gov <http://www.dontserveteens.gov> , include information about the prevalence of teen drinking and its risks, links to state laws about underage drinking, and steps to take at home and in the community to reduce teens' easy access to alcohol.

Timed to coincide with the back to school season, "We Don't Serve Teens Week" is supported by public and private entities across the country, including public officials in at least 32 states, to spread the message that serving alcohol to teens is unsafe, illegal and irresponsible.

Click here to read the Governor's proclamation. <http://www.gov.state.la.us/assets/docs/wedontserveteenswk.pdf>

###