[StBernard] More Africanized honeybees found in St. Bernard Parish

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Sep 12 22:57:52 EDT 2007

I've followed the trail of African Honeyabees for many years. (longer than
most of you have existed<G>).

These characters are the real deal in terms of "Natural Terrorists" having
been released into the wild (accidently, I believe) and for decades were
coming from Brazil up through Mexico and before St. Bernard Parish was
moving through Texas. They are keen enough to realize disturbances of 30
yards from the nest, attacking in droves with possibility of a deathful
multiple of stings.

Is it possible that migrant workers, etc. or boats/barges which may have
carried them into St. Bernard Parish? (as we've known them as Texas
inhabited prior to recent reports).

At any rate, bees can make just about any place of refuge its home and
therefore, under homes, lawnmowers, old cars, trash, (hey, still plenty to
go around in da parish ;) behind objects, garages, behind utility boxes,
etc. are still favorites during the fall and spring swarming.

Normal bees have been one thing (including wasps, mud-divers, etc).
Africanized Honey Bees will not only cause one to lose his/her religion (if
one believes in one, but also have a plan (Insect bite kit/extension
service, perhaps) in event--whether you're allergic to insect bites or want
to know the chances of surviving if multiple attacked. Better to be careful,
than brave, perhaps.

-jer--