[StBernard] Landrieu Statement on Hurricane Humberto, FEMA Coordination Issues

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Sep 13 22:31:09 EDT 2007

Landrieu Statement on
Hurricane Humberto,
FEMA Coordination Issues

WASHINGTON - U.S. Senator Mary L. Landrieu, D-La., today commented on the
effects of Hurricane Humberto, a Category 1 storm which developed
unexpectedly late yesterday and made landfall in Texas and southwest
Louisiana this morning. The storm led to refinery interruptions along the
Texas coast, causing an increase in gasoline prices nationwide.

"Hurricane Humberto is as reminder of the unpredictability behind these
tropical storms, as well as how their threat to America's only Energy Coast
can have an economic ripple effect across the nation," Sen. Landrieu said.
"Fortunately, in a region so devastated by Hurricane Rita almost exactly two
years ago, it appears southwest Louisiana was largely spared from severe
damage. But that shouldn't lessen our resolve to be better prepared for the
next disaster.

"With the right drainage, coastal protection and coordinated leadership, we
can effectively protect our coastal communities from major storms and I am
fighting in Washington to make sure we have the tools to do it."

Coordination problems between the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
and local first responders were reported to have caused confusion during the
preparation and planning for evacuation of FEMA trailers still in the region
following 2005's Hurricane Rita. However, shortly after Sen. Landrieu
brought the issue to light in a FOX News Channel interview this morning,
FEMA contacted the Senator's office and reported that the issues had been
addressed and the responsible officials were corrected.

"I was concerned this morning when I learned of coordination issues between
FEMA and local agencies working to ensure the safety of the thousands of
southwest Louisianians still living in FEMA trailers," Sen. Landrieu said.
"There are many good people that work for this agency, but even with all the
lessons of the past two years, there are still serious kinks that need to be
worked out between command, control and communication.

"Thankfully, FEMA worked quickly to address the issues challenging today's
response and appears to have taken swift action to hold its chain of command
accountable for their mistakes."

- 30 -