[StBernard] e-Postcard from Governor Blanco 9-17-07

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Sep 17 23:20:55 EDT 2007

Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco heads to Spain this week on an economic development mission with Louisiana Economic Development Secretary Mike Olivier. They will lead a team through several meetings and seminars in Madrid in hopes of recruiting more investments in Louisiana.. Gov. Blanco is sending updates to constituents back home through e-postcards.

Governor Blanco's e-Postcard from Madrid:

The US Ambassador to Spain, Eduardo Aguirre, welcomed the economic development mission I am leading by saying, "you've come at the right time." This week in Madrid we continue our efforts to aggressively seek new business, and we have arrived at a time when Spanish companies stand prepared to capitalize on new investments.

Our first day began with a pledge from the ambassador that the US embassy fully supports our mission. During this meeting, we were encouraged to find that our embassy is lead by a team with deep Louisiana roots. Ambassador Aguirre is a proud graduate of Holy Cross High School of New Orleans and LSU. His chief of staff grew up in Alexandria. And Hugo Llorens, the deputy chief of missions, has two children attending Loyola in New Orleans.

With these strong Louisiana ties, we know we can count on our embassy to continue our mission long after we've returned to the states.

The Spanish economy is thriving as part of the European Union, and, according to the ambassador, boasts the eighth largest economy in the world. We are targeting the banking and commercial real estate sectors for investment opportunities, and are seeking joint venture partners for infrastructure construction and industrial development. We are confident these companies will see the value represented by opportunities we can show them in Louisiana. Our job is to inform them of the opportunities that exist, and make the connections that can lead to lasting partnerships. With day one off to a positive start, we are looking forward to a full and productive week.

- Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org