[StBernard] Governor Blanco issues statement regarding Thursday's rally in Jena, La

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Sep 17 23:30:47 EDT 2007

Governor Blanco issues statement regarding Thursday's rally in Jena, La

BATON ROUGE - Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco issued the following statement today outlining preparations underway for events planned this Thursday in Jena, La:

"The events of September 20 promise to bring a substantial number of visitors to Jena, and as with any large occasion preparations must be made for an orderly experience. To that effect, I am working with State Police Superintendent Colonel Griffin, who has coordinated with the LaSalle Parish Sheriff's Department to support its safety efforts during Thursday's activities. Colonel Griffin has also reached out to leaders of groups organizing, assuring their safety as they demonstrate. Given the high number of expected participants, State Police will have a sizeable presence in Jena to ensure a peaceful and therefore meaningful event. I support citizens exercising their right to free speech, and I encourage all involved in Thursday's march to respect one another and that right."

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org