[StBernard] Kopplin Statement on GulfGov Report

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Sep 17 23:37:43 EDT 2007

Today, the Nelson A. Rockefeller Institute of Government and the Public Affairs Research Council of Louisiana released a report on federal funding in response to hurricanes Katrina and Rita. The report can be found here <http://www.la-par.org/article.cfm?id=218&cateid=1> :

STATEMENT OF ANDY KOPPLIN, LOUISIANA RECOVERY AUTHORITY EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR

Regarding the GulfGov Report, "Spending Federal Disaster Aid"
September 17, 2007

Today's GulfGov Report serves as an independent validation of what we have been saying to Washington for many months. The federal funding allocated for Louisiana's recovery has not been proportional to our damages and the dollars that have been appropriated through the Stafford Act and CDBG program flow at a trickle, much too slowly for the kind of urgent rebuilding effort our communities need.

Red tape needs to be cut and reconstruction funds provided fairly to states in proportion to damages. The Stafford Act needs to be overhauled so that it works effectively after a catastrophe. After events like Katrina and Rita, the federal response should be focused on speed and results rather than haggling over project worksheets with FEMA or following decades-old precedents under the CDBG program.

Hurricanes Katrina and Rita devastated South Louisiana, claiming 1,464 lives, destroying more than 200,000 homes and 18,000 businesses. The Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA) is the planning and coordinating body that was created in the aftermath of these storms by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco to lead one of the most extensive rebuilding efforts in the world. The LRA is a 33-member body which is coordinating across jurisdictions, supporting community recovery and resurgence, ensuring integrity and effectiveness, and planning for the recovery and rebuilding of Louisiana.
###