[StBernard] Sheriff's Race

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Sep 20 21:35:01 EDT 2007

I, Wendy like you have ties to the sheriff's department a personal friend
who was on the force for many years and a son-in-law who spend some years
there before moving on past Katrina.

The "stories" that come out of the department may or may not have been
rumors, but I have no reason to doubt many of them because of a
"brotherhood" many cops share to the department. I personally cannot be
witness to any "happenings" of the department per se. But the many "rumors"
that have emulated from the conversations shared not only shock me, they are
worrisome. I'd like to see things "purified" with new management in that a
dynasty by anyone of 0ver 10 years in office can be interpreted either
"rightly or wrongly" depending upon the person asked.

The drug problem that occurred before Katrina exists this day, I'm sure. I
have this thing about drugs and if left to me in a law, a 3rd-time offender
would face a life sentence. I believe in an island (not unlike in the movie,
"Escape from New York) where anyone convicted of drugs as discussed, rape,
robbery, murder-manslaughter, or violent crime would have the perpetrators
incarcerated to the island - forever. I can't stand violent criminals. I
don't think over 10% can be rehabilitated (even though the Department of
Justice claims 70% can be) as most are recidivists. I'm so sick of crime on
all fronts that I believe that if HELL is ANY worse, I'm leaning toward
"monkhood" <G>. A far cry from realism here, but the message is understood.
I worry for the parish. Will it improve or degenerate? I realize that funds
are in high demand these days. However, where does the changes take place?

>From the top down or the bottom up?

--jer--

JDR,

I have not commented on this before because it's real personal, however,
I have specific information that Ben's claims have merit, at least
concerning drugs, usage, and sheriff's deputies.
In 2004, my sister-in-law died of a drug over dose in her Chalmette
home- Methadone and Xanyex (I'm not sure, don't use the stuff). She had been
on pills for months, maybe a year. I now have my nephew. She was living with
a deputy from the Sheriff's department. The ironic part, he was in drug
enforcement!!!! She had no job, yet always had pills, they had a new car and
all the bills were paid. The supply was coming from somewhere, and according
to statements she made to my brother, she was getting them from the deputy.
Now after she was found dead, and investigation should have taken place. It
never did, or it was done on paper and nothing came of it. I won't publish
specific names, dates, etc. concerning this on the listserv. However, if you
ever want specifics, I can be contacted.
While this may be one incident in your book, it is indicative of politics
that ran rampart in the Sheriff's office. Hell, since high school, 20 years
ago, I knew class mates who had supplies and "hookups." I cannot comment on
everything he stated, however, I can comment on what I have personal first
hand knowledge of.

Wendy H