[StBernard] E-Postcard from Governor Blanco 9.20.07

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Sep 20 22:40:34 EDT 2007

Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco is in Spain this week on a business development mission with Louisiana Economic Development Secretary Mike Olivier. They are leading a team through several meetings and seminars in Madrid in hopes of recruiting more investments in Louisiana. Gov. Blanco is sending updates to constituents back home through e-postcards.

Governor Blanco's e-Postcard from Madrid 9.20.07

Tonight, we conclude our mission to Spain with new potential for partnerships and investments. In a breakfast meeting with secretary Pedro Mejias, who heads up trade, commerce and tourism for the Spanish government, we agreed to commit our teams to making new private sector connections. On behalf of the Louisiana people, I thanked the secretary for the generous and immediate support their government sent to Louisiana in the wake of hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

Our investment seminar surpassed our expectations. More than 28 companies sent senior representatives to learn about the investment opportunities in the affected regions. Presentations were given by the Spanish institute for foreign trade, the Spanish finance agency, and an organization called Cofides, that is offering companies financing of up to $25 million euros to support investment. The Spanish consulate of Miami made a strong case for why Spanish companies need to invest in the United States and Louisiana. The seminar focused on our state's construction economy. Real estate development, energy, financial services, transportation, engineering and construction industries were all represented.

Later in the day, we visited with yet another construction company determined to expand in the United States. Our team put on hard hats to ascend to the top of what will be the highest sky rise structure in Madrid. The view was almost as amazing as the scope of the potential business they could bring to Louisiana.

We closed out the night with a reception hosted by the US Embassy, giving prospective companies another opportunity to meet firsthand with our team prior to departure. Now as we return home, I am confident the seeds we have planted for new investments in Louisiana will grow into innovative new partnerships that will lead us into the future.

-Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org