[StBernard] Sheriff's Race

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Sep 20 23:48:14 EDT 2007

Jer,

While you are a forever optimist, I am that of a pessimist. If a system
is corrupt, then the heads of the organization are corrupt, or incompetent
flunkies who don't know what the hell is going on and needs to leave because
they can't control their subordinates. While I agree that most criminals are
repeat offenders, I do believe that most criminals learn the art and
occupation of crime in jail or from the system. If a person screws up, say
shop lifts as a 17 year old- stupid teenage prank. In a small area, much
like St. Bernard, that person would have a hard time finding a job, because
everyone knows everyone and everyone talks. So what happens, they commit
some other little crime, because they are not around proper hardworking
influences....now they are in jail, where they learn other scams and crimes.
They are let out, with a record no one will hire them, so they revert to
what's easy. The other thing, these kids think they have all the time in the
world. I was at court, applying for a job, and I heard a kid tell the judge,
I can do 5 standing on my head...they judge said, good then you can do 2
more on your feet. I mean, jail doesn't have the same "punishment" factor
that it once had. I really find this sad because this means the youth have
no respect for the system, which means the system is now in danger. Hey, but
what do I know.

Wendy H