[StBernard] Jindal, Georges back school-tuition tax break

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Sep 23 20:31:23 EDT 2007

Jindal, Georges back school-tuition tax break
By MICHELLE MILLHOLLON
Advocate Capitol News Bureau
Published: Sep 23, 2007 - Page: 1A

Two of four leading candidates running for governor favor a tax break for
private and parochial school tuition.

U.S. Rep. Bobby Jindal and New Orleans businessman John Georges support the
measure that Gov. Kathleen Blanco vetoed earlier this year.

Public Service Commissioner Foster Campbell said he is opposed to the idea
of subsidizing private school tuition when public school systems are
struggling.

State Sen. Walter Boasso is hesitant to take a stance either way.

Education groups expect the tuition tax break to resurface in the next
legislative session.

Steve Monaghan, president of the Louisiana Federation of Teachers, said his
organization vetted the issue with candidates before choosing to back
Campbell in the Oct. 20 primary election.

"We knew that the issue is one that I'm certain, I'm certain, will return,"
he said, calling the tax break "a voucher in disguise."

A voucher is a use of state tax dollars to help children attend private or
parochial school.

State Rep. Hunter Greene, who handled the legislation in the House, said he
expects the bill to be resurrected when lawmakers return to the State
Capitol in March for the regular session.

The measure may become even more generous.

Greene, R-Baton Rouge, unsuccessfully pushed legislation to create a tax
deduction for up to $10,000 of the private school tuition paid per child.
The bill died in committee, forcing him to back a less generous Senate bill.

"That's probably the No. 1 issue in my district right now. That and taxes,"
Greene said.

Greene's district includes the Episcopal School of Baton Rouge, one of the
more expensive private schools in the area.

In July, Blanco vetoed Senate Bill 45, saying it could "subsidize private
schools at the expense of public school children."

About 128,000 students attend private and parochial schools in Louisiana
while another 650,000 students go to public schools, according to the state
Department of Education.

SB45 would have allowed parents to take an income tax deduction for 50
percent of private and parochial school tuition and fee costs, up to a
maximum of $5,000.

Jindal, R-Kenner, said he would sign a tax break for private school tuition
if he becomes governor and the bill crosses his desk.

"I'm not opposed to giving them a little help," he said, noting that parents
with children in private or parochial schools also pay taxes.

Jindal and his wife, Supriya, graduated from public high schools. Their
5-year-old daughter, Selia, attends a parochial school.

Georges, who has no party affiliation, has three children in private school.

He said he would have signed the bill that crossed Blanco's desk.

Georges resisted giving blanket support to a tuition tax break, saying it
depends on the circumstances.

Boasso, D-Arabi, said he is not looking to do any tax breaks until he
restructures the education system.

He wants to consider getting rid of the Louisiana Educational Assessment
Program tests, which fourth- and eighth-graders have to pass to move to the
fifth and ninth grades.

Boasso, whose three children attended parochial schools, also is critical
of the Graduation Exit Exam, the test high school students take to earn a
diploma.

"I want to turn around the educational system," Boasso said.

Campbell, a Bossier Parish Democrat, said he doubts he would sign a private
school tuition tax break bill.

"I don't think we have enough money for the public school system," Campbell
said of his inclination to veto the legislation.

Campbell's assessment is one with which Jessica Marks, spokeswoman for the
Louisiana Association of Educators, agrees.

"Private schools are just that, private, they should not be
government-subsidized," she said.

LAE endorsed Campbell and Boasso.

Monaghan said private school tax breaks end up bleeding the public school
system.

"If we want a public education system that's going to work, we have to keep
the focus and the funds," he said.

It often is a snowball effect, he said, with the tax break beginning
modestly and growing as years pass.

Greene said the state can easily afford to adequately fund public schools
and give private school parents a break on their tuition obligations.

With a $32 billion state budget, Greene said, there's plenty of money to go
around.

Find this article at:
http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/9940486.html?showAll=y&c=y