[StBernard] Sheriff's Race - Crime

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Sep 24 19:07:07 EDT 2007

Jer,

It's easy to say those things in a place where we had family close by
for help and support, a community that could be counted on. In most metro
areas, people are faces not friends and family. And there are those who will
argue, putting food on the table and a roof over one's head is "doing the
right thing." Not all jobs are 9-5, otherwise where would people go out to
eat, see a movie, etc. You're absolutely right, letting a kid come home
under age is against the law. BUT, being a single parent, my daughter did
come home some days before me and was alone for a couple of hours. Granted I
had a job that allowed me to receive a call when she hit the door, to check
on her, etc. In New Orleans (prior to Katrina), I use to see 5 year olds
riding RTA buses to school, without adults because that was the contract the
school board had with RTA. Some of these kids ride multiple buses/subways to
get to school and home. There are deeper issues here and we'll probably
never be able to agree.

Wendy H