[StBernard] Governor Blanco asks President Bush to sign WRDA

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Sep 24 23:23:30 EDT 2007

Governor Blanco asks President Bush to sign WRDA

BATON ROUGE - Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco tonight urged President Bush to sign the Water Resources Development Act of 2007 (WRDA) into law, after the US Senate voted today 81-12 to approve the bill. WRDA now heads to the White House for approval. President Bush has threatened to veto the bill.

"I am asking the President to rescind his veto threat and sign this bill into law. WRDA will authorize billions of dollars to strengthen Louisiana's levees and to protect our coast," said Governor Blanco. "We have waited years for WRDA, and we cannot wait any longer. If we are to be prepared for future storms, we must act now."

WRDA would authorize $3.6 billion in critical restoration and protection projects for Louisiana, including the Morganza To The Gulf Hurricane Protection Project and the closing of the Mississippi River Gulf Outlet. Money would also be dedicated to restoring coastal marshland and strengthening levees along the state's rivers.

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People