[StBernard] Educating the masses

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Sep 26 21:26:11 EDT 2007

Janet, you're absolutely on target here. Now, I have no dog in this hunt,
no kids in school, but the hypocrisy of Maestri's statement knocked me over.
Maybe the day will come when St. Bernard will have another Catholic High
School and I hope it is opened by an Order and not the local archdiocese.
The New Orleans archdiocese has left me very disappointed since Katrina.

Jim

I always heard that the Good Lord knows what we are thinking so you
might as
well say it. While I am happy that all of these schools are thriving
can't help but feel very bitter towards Fr. Maestri when he says how
committed the archdiocese is to St. Bernard. Where was that
commitment when
the decision was made to take Hannan away from our parish? I
remember the
school starting out with portables and keep wondering if he
understood the
dedication that families had to the school. I know in my heart that
Hannan
family members would have started from scratch once again to keep
there
school alive in St. Bernard. I wonder if Fr. Maestri fully
comprehends that
his decision to relocate Hannan had such a negative impact or our
parish's
recovery. Many families now live on the northshore because they
followed
the school. If the school had returned to its Meraux campus, the
families
would have returned as well.

I know it's too late now, but my heart hurts when I think of how the
archdiocese abandoned our families and hurt our recovery effort by
taking
away our high school, closing our church parishes and transferring
our
neighborhood priests when we needed them most.

Just had to vent. Sometimes I forget that God knows best. Good think
He
loves me even when I'm cranky!

Janet