[StBernard] Sheriff's Race - Crime

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Sep 26 21:50:20 EDT 2007

"You're absolutely right, letting a kid come home
under age is against the law. BUT, being a single parent, my daughter did
come home some days before me and was alone for a couple of hours. Granted I
had a job that allowed me to receive a call when she hit the door, to check
on her, etc. In New Orleans (prior to Katrina), I use to see 5 year olds
riding RTA buses to school, without adults because that was the contract the
school board had with RTA. Some of these kids ride multiple buses/subways to
get to school and home. There are deeper issues here and we'll probably
never be able to agree. --Wendy H"

Jerry: Well, Wendy. If your kid was under age and an incident occurred at
home (even for leaving them alone for a few hours, you could be held
responsible for child neglect (they prosecute parents for breaking laws this
past century).

NO, we'll probably never agree when it comes to terms of what constitutes a
right or wrong to child abuse, child neglect or finding some excuse why or
when one can break a law and justify the means.

If it's a bad law to prosecute parents for child neglect, the government and
people would have had the law overturned and made it legal to leave kids
under age alone (I suppose we can say that without proper parental
supervision, any kid qualifies for the possibility that an unsupervised
child can find themselves in trouble).

We can end this discussion here, because I'm convinced that it would be
against the law and you find the law OK, but under certain circumstances,
one can circumvent it finding a loophole, good reason or some moments when
the laws set in place to not apply to us. Yes, we all are capable for
breaking laws, but why involve the children?

--jer--