[StBernard] Governor Blanco delivers remarks concerning an update in the Jena Six case

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Sep 26 23:31:46 EDT 2007

Governor Blanco delivers remarks concerning an update in the Jena Six case

BATON ROUGE - Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco delivered the following remarks tonight following a meeting with Reverend Al Sharpton and Martin Luther King, III:

Good evening. We come together to address the situation involving the group that has come to be known as the Jena 6. Let me begin by saying that there is no place for racism in Louisiana. We will not tolerate racism, we will not tolerate discrimination, and we will not tolerate intimidation in any form.

To the thousands of protestors who traveled to Jena, I share your concerns. Thank you for assembling peacefully. And thank you for making your voices heard. For several weeks I have been in direct discussions with the parties involved. And tonight, I am pleased to share good news with you.

As you know, the authority to make decisions regarding the case of Mychal Bell resides within the justice system. And the Louisiana justice system is designed to correct itself when necessary. We have already seen a decision rendered by the Louisiana Court of Appeals. That Court has ruled on the jurisdiction for this case. I asked the District Attorney to accept the decision of the Third Circuit Court of Appeals. I have just received word that District Attorney Reed Walter has agreed to allow the decision to stand. I thank him for this decision that he has made on behalf of Mr. Bell, his family, their community, and our entire State.

Reed Walters has led a respected and ethical 17 year career as District Attorney. He has a solid record and is highly respected among his peers. The system needs to work. The DA has decided that the best way for this to happen is for it to go to the Juvenile Court System where it can move to resolution in the quickest and most expeditious manner. The Juvenile Court System is where this case belongs. Louisiana has worked hard to reform our juvenile justice system. We have become a national model for reform. I believe that this case will be handled in a fair and appropriate manner.

I'd like my Superintendent of State Police, Colonel Stanley Griffin, to join me now at the podium. There have been concerns expressed that the families of the young people involved, as well as other individuals, have been subjected to intimidation of one kind or another. I have ordered Colonel Griffin to investigate and bring the full force of the State Police to ensure the safety of all of the individuals and the families involved in the Jena 6 case. As I said, we will not tolerate intimidation of anyone, at any time.

I am joined by the Reverend Al Sharpton, and Martin Luther King, III. I want to thank these individuals, their organizations, Louisiana's civil rights leaders and all of the parties involved for working towards a just resolution. Tonight we have made progress towards justice and reconciliation for the families and residents of the community of Jena. I believe these developments show what we know to be true: that Louisiana respects and promotes the rights of all of our citizens.

Thank you.

###