[StBernard] Senate Leadership Meets with La. Coastal Delegation on WRDA

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Sep 27 21:35:33 EDT 2007

Senate Leadership Meets with La. Coastal Delegation on WRDA Senate Majority
Leader and EPW Chairman join Landrieu-led strategy session.

WASHINGTON - United States Senator Mary L. Landrieu, D-La., today was joined
by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., and Environment and Public
Works (EPW) Chairman Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., for a meeting with a coalition
of coastal experts from Louisiana to discuss Water Resources Development Act
(WRDA). The conference report passed the Senate 81-12 on Monday and has been
sent to the President, though a veto threat looms over the bill.

"The WRDA bill gives us the green light to move forward with the critical
projects that will protect us from future storms and secure the energy
infrastructure and great port system at the mouth of the Mississippi River,"
Sen. Landrieu said. "I want to thank Senator Reid and Senator Boxer for
making Louisiana's hurricane protection and water management a priority in
the Senate, and if the President decides to veto the bill, we will work
together to override him."

The bill has at least $3.6 billion, or 17 percent of its total, for
hurricane protection, flood control and navigation projects in Louisiana. A
Congressional Budget Office score released on Monday estimates Louisiana's
share will reach $7 billion as projects are compleated. Sen. Landrieu
discussed with Louisiana constituents -- including engineers, elected and
appointed officials, levee board officials, port directors and nonprofit
interest groups -- the most efficient ways to restore the coast, protect the
state from storms and flooding and keep the economy growing. Among the
participants were La. Department of Transportation and Development Secretary
Johnny Bradberry, representing the Louisiana Coastal Protection and
Restoration Authority, and State Senator Reggie Dupre who represents
Terrebonne and Lafourche parishes.

The group also discussed the 37.5 percent share of oil and gas revenues due
the state from the Domenici-Landrieu Gulf of Mexico Energy Security Act,
which was signed into law last year and how that funding will jumpstart WRDA
projects as soon as the bill becomes law.

Sen. Reid told the group that Sen. Landrieu had continually pushed for the
Senate's consideration of the WRDA legislation and described how she worked
tirelessly to make it an urgent priority for the Senate calendar.

"As Democrats continue to work to strengthen and protect our natural
resources, Sen. Landrieu is helping us lead the way," Sen. Reid said. 'The
Water Resources Development Act will help fund many important Army Corps of
Engineer projects, and it would not have happened without Sen. Landrieu's
guidance and dedication to the people of Louisiana."

Sen. Boxer told the group that she was able to see the urgent need to move
quickly to prevent future disasters when she brought the EPW Committee to
New Orleans in February for a hearing on levees and integrated water
management.

"It was quite an experience that will stay with me forever," she said,
adding that "the reason we were able to move the bill was in large part
because of Sen. Landrieu's eloquence and her focus."

- 30 -