[StBernard] News from LA Speaks

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat Sep 29 10:12:08 EDT 2007

The Latest from Louisiana Speaks
New Websites, Lafayette Embraces the Regional Plan, Champions support the
Presidential Debate in New Orleans and the WRDA bill

Louisiana Speaks increases online presence. As we implement the Louisiana
Speaks Regional Plan <http://www.louisianaspeaks.org/static.html?id=161>
and 2008 Priorities <http://www.louisianaspeaks.org/showdoc.html?id=16651> ,
we are making an effort to increase our online presence. We have created
additional online resources to familiarize people with the Regional Plan and
have begun to host online discussion forums that people may utilize to
participate in the effort to create a safer, stronger and smarter Louisiana.

Since we are at the point "where the rubber hits the road,
<http://www.louisianaspeaks.org/showdoc.html?id=16651> " it has become
essential that Louisiana Speaks <http://www.louisianaspeaks.org> has a
robust base of support. The expansion of our 'online' community of
supporters is particularly important in this age of modern communication.
Recently, we created a group on Facebook <http://www.thefacebook.com> (you
must join Facebook to see the group profile), and a profile on MySpace
<http://www.myspace.com/louisianaspea> . Facebook and Myspace are
interactive, social networking websites, particularly popular with
college-age individuals and young professionals. We have also developed a
blog at http://laspeaks.blogspot.com/ <http://laspeaks.blogspot.com/> .
Additionally, now Louisiana Speaks even has an entry on Wikipedia, so people
can find out about the process and plan on the world's biggest free-content
online encyclopedia! Check it out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_Speaks
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_Speaks>

Lafayette City-Parish Planning Commission Adopts Louisiana Speaks Regional
Plan. On Monday, September 24, the Lafayette City-Parish Planning Commission
formally adopted the Louisiana Speaks Regional Plan
<http://www.louisianaspeaks.org/static.html?id=161> . According to Mike
Hollier, Lafayette's Planning Manager, "As an adopted component of the
Lafayette Parish Comprehensive Plan: Lafayette IN a Century (LINC)
<http://www.lafayettelinc.net/> , the South Louisiana Regional Plan will not
be altered. Henceforth, any changes to LINC would have to conform to the
Louisiana Speaks Regional Plan."

Louisiana Speaks Champion and TIME magazine join forces to promote
Presidential Debate in New Orleans. The proposal for a Presidential debate
in New Orleans being promoted by Louisiana Speaks Champion
<http://www.louisianaspeaks.org/static.html?id=44> Anne Milling, founder of
the non-partisan group Women of the Storm <http://www.womenofthestorm.net> ,
has been strongly endorsed by TIME magazine, including a statement from
editor Rick Stengel. Stengel is asking TIME's readers to join him in
supporting a presidential debate in New Orleans by sending in comments to
neworleansdebate at timemagazine.com <mailto:neworleansdebate at timemagazine.com>
. TIME plans to forward the letters to the Commission on Presidential
Debates.

* Click here
<http://www.womenofthestorm.net/news_subdet.php?wots_subcontent_ID=52> to
read details, endorsement letters and the debate proposal itself.
* Click here <http://www.womenofthestorm.net> to read editorial
endorsements from New York Times, Boston Globe, Washington Post, and USA
Today.
* Click here <http://www.womenofthestorm.net/files/Letter_to_CPD.pdf>
to read an endorsement letter signed by all six U.S. Senators who are
presidential candidates.

Please inform your friends and family about this effort. The more people who
participate, the better! Site selection will be announced at the end of
October.

Chet Morrison, Louisiana Speaks Champion and LRA board member, responds to
legislative approval of WRDA Bill and encourages President Bush to sign.
Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA) Board member and Louisiana Speaks
Champion Chet Morrison has issued a statement in response to the U.S.
Senate's vote to approve the Water Resources Development Act of 2007 (WRDA)
earlier this week. Click here to read it
<http://www.louisianaspeaks.org/static.html?id=321> . The U.S. House of
Representatives previously passed similar legislation. WRDA now awaits
President George W. Bush's signature to become law.