[StBernard] Socialized Medicine's Front Door

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat Sep 29 10:37:53 EDT 2007

Meeting Behinds Closed Doors and Making Agreements is never good for any
true Democracy.

What type of Health Care Coverage would these children really receive under
SCHIP and why would some States (New York, New Jersey) receive a higher
percentage of poverty criteria to enroll. I'm wondering if these families
are making choices NOT to spend their income on Health Care, and instead
choosing to purchase nonessentials. I'm not referring to families who truly
need to chose between weekly groceries and healthcare; but rather those that
are living beyond their means and choosing not to have insurance coverage
for their children.

My children are eligible for Medicare because they are dependent survivors
and as such receive Social Security Insurance Death Benefits. However, we
still have Private Insurance because, in my opinion, there was not only a
lack of services through that public health program, but there was also a
discrimination by private pediatricians regarding services and appointment
scheduling for children covered by Medicare. I have no experience with the
Medicaid System.

While it is always better to have access to healthcare, especially for
children, I'm wondering if it is more of a choice of how these families are
spending AND if any increase in enrollment in this system (due to these
changes) is NEEDED to financially supplement the SCHIP healthcare system.

SJK