[StBernard] Socialized Medicine's Front Door

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sun Sep 30 16:04:01 EDT 2007

I wrote that badly, sorry. The DINKS I knew each carried a self-only
policy. Both couples sat and figured out the deductibles and such for
separate policies and then the cost of the family option and figured they
were better each carrying a self only policy.

Oddly, the Feds started a vision/dental plan (in which the employee pays the
full premium w/no gov't contribution) and those plans have self, self +1 and
family.

Go figure! They couldn't do the same for the medical plans?

Jim

Jim,

Yep, I'm on my wife's policy. That's one of the primary reasons she
works,
is for the insurance.

The plans I've seen offered from the Archdiocese of New Orleans and
the
Diocese of Houma-Thibodaux both offered plans for self, self +
spouse, self
+ kids, or self, spouse + kids.

Now, there was never any distinction on the number of kids. One kid
cost as
much as ten kids (I wish tuition was like that).

Why would the DINKs carrying their spouses on each other's policies?
From
what I know of insurance rules, your personal policy is always
primary and
would pay first.

Employers usually contributed enough to cover a single person and
the rest
of the family would have to be covered out-of-pocket. Why pay for
two
policies?

Westley