[StBernard] Governor Blanco issues statement after President Bush vetoes SCHIP reauthorization

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Oct 3 20:50:29 EDT 2007

Governor Blanco issues statement after President Bush vetoes SCHIP reauthorization

BATON ROUGE - Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco issued the following statement today after President Bush vetoed legislation to reauthorize the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP):

"I am extremely disappointed President Bush has decided to turn his back on the children of Louisiana and our country. Health insurance is fast becoming a luxury when it should be a basic right. In Louisiana alone, some 100,000 children depend on our SCHIP program, LaCHIP, for critical access to the health care they need. I thank the Members of our Louisiana Delegation who supported this bill, and I urge those who did not to join their fellow Members of Congress and override this veto to provide for the health and well-being of our children."

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org