[StBernard] Statement from LRA Board Member Calvin Mackie on HUD's Announcement Regarding Rental Assistance for

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Oct 9 21:14:02 EDT 2007

Statement from LRA Board Member Calvin Mackie on HUD's Announcement Regarding Rental Assistance for Hurricane Victims

BATON ROUGE, La. (October 9, 2007) - Louisiana Recovery Authority Board Member Calvin Mackie issued the following statement regarding today's announcement by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to begin reducing the level of rental assistance that will be provided to hurricane victims through the Disaster Housing Assistance Program (DHAP).

"While the Road Home is expected to deliver more than 90,000 grants to Louisiana homeowners by the end of the year and our programs to restore more than 30,000 rental units are in full swing, the bottom line is that not all of these units will be available before March, and we are still experiencing a severe housing shortage at every level.

"Hurricanes Katrina and Rita left more than 200,000 homes major or severely damaged in Louisiana alone, and the fact that we are still restoring homes and bringing rental units back online is unfortunate, but not surprising.

"We are concerned by Secretary Jackson's announcement today that HUD is planning to reduce rental assistance that is desperately needed for thousands of residents who are striving to rebuild their homes and communities-- as this could leave many of our families in even more difficult circumstances.

"While we are grateful for the assistance HUD has provided to residents thus far, the recovery is not over and we would ask Secretary Jackson to reconsider the timeline."

Hurricanes Katrina and Rita devastated South Louisiana, claiming 1,464 lives, destroying more than 200,000 homes and 18,000 businesses. The Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA) is the planning and coordinating body that was created in the aftermath of these storms by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco to lead one of the most extensive rebuilding efforts in the world. The LRA is a 33-member body which is coordinating across jurisdictions, supporting community recovery and resurgence, ensuring integrity and effectiveness, and planning for the recovery and rebuilding of Louisiana.

###