[StBernard] Please vote this Saturday October 20th

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Oct 16 20:48:13 EDT 2007

ELECTION DAY IS THIS SATURDAY, OCTOBER 20TH

I know that we all have busy lives, but I would urge everyone to vote this
coming Saturday, October 20, 2007. The upcoming state elections are
extremely critical to Louisiana's future, yet only a 50% turnout is
expected. Although the brisk early voting is certainly an encouraging sign,
please be sure to vote if you haven't already. This election provides a
historic opportunity to elect a new Governor and a new legislature (due to
term limits), at a time when our state is truly at a crossroads. This
election provides our best and possibly last chance to enact the fundamental
structural changes necessary to revive and reform our state, create
prosperity and opportunity, and keep our children in Louisiana.

If you would like to obtain an exact copy of your ballot, please check on
the Louisiana State Legislature's website at www.legis.state.la.us
<http://www.legis.state.la.us/> , click in the spot indicated under
Election 2007 and select "My Ballot." You can then enter information about
yourself and obtain a copy of your exact ballot to print out. (NOTE: You may
have to temporarily disable your pop-up blocker to view and print the
ballot.) You can also obtain the location of your voting poll under the
heading "Where do I vote?"

Polling hours are from 6 a.m. until 8 p.m.

Below is some information on the constitutional amendments which are on the
ballot this Satuday.

CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENTS

NOTE: There are currently four state constitutional amendments on the
October 20th ballot. More detailed information on the constitutional
amendments can be found on the web site of the Public Affairs Research
Council (www.la-par.org <http://www.la-par.org/> )

State Constitutional Amendment 1 (Act 483-2007), Supplemental Pay Protection

This amendment would constitutionally prohibit the reduction of supplemental
pay for eligible local law enforcement and fire protection officers. With
the passage of this amendment, future legislative increases in supplemental
pay would be automatically protected and only reduced by a 2/3 vote of the
legislature.
FOR - Would constitutionally protect current and future statutory
supplemental pay levels for full time local law enforcement officers and
firefighters.
AGAINST - Would not constitutionally protect current and future statutory
pay levels for full time local law enforcement officers and firefighters.

State Constitutional Amendment 2 (Act 485-2007), Supplemental Pay Expansion

This amendment would authorize the Legislature to expand supplemental pay to
full-time, commissioned state law enforcement officers and firefighters who
are employed by a port authority and patrol waterways and riverfront areas.

FOR - Would authorize the Legislature to expand supplemental pay to
full-time, commissioned state law enforcement officers and firefighters
employed by a port authority.
AGAINST - Exclude such state law enforcement officers and firefighters from
supplemental pay program

State Constitutional Amendment 3 (Act 484-2007), Funding of State Retirement
Systems
This amendment would apply only to members of the retirement systems
covering state employees, teachers, state police and school employees. The
amendment would prohibit changes in future benefits unless (1) new or
additional funding is identified and (2) the funding would have to be
capable of retiring any corresponding unfunded accrued liability (UAL)
within 10 years.
FOR- Would forbid approval of future benefit increases in the state
retirement systems unless funding was identified and sufficient to pay the
cost of the benefit within 10 years.
AGAINST - Allow continued approval of benefit increases for public
employees in the state retirement systems as long as the benefit could be
paid within 30 years.

State Constitutional Amendment 4 (Act 486-2007), Property Tax Exemption for
Consigned Jewelry
The amendment would expand the property tax exemption on artwork placed on
consignment to include that held by a jewelry dealer
FOR- Would grant a property tax exemption for jewelry placed on consignment
with art and jewelry dealers.
AGAINST - Would maintain the current property tax exemption for consigned
artwork, which does not include jewelry.

ENDORSEMENTS

BOBBY JINDAL: As you know from previous emails, I have strongly
endorsed Bobby Jindal for Governor. Let's not gamble with our state's
future. Bobby has both the vision and the experience to lead our state
forward. The election is very close and let's elect him this Saturday
October 20th, so we can immediately put him to work on Louisana's pressing
problems .

MIKE STRAIN: Another statewide candidate who I know well is my
colleague Rep. Mike Strain who is running for Commissioner of Agriculture.
Mike is an outstanding legislator and also a rural veterinarian who has been
a leader in agricultural issues. Mike would bring the professionalism and
honesty that this important office has been lacking for decades, with both
of the previous commissioners, including the incumbent, indicted for
corruption.

Tim Burns