[StBernard] Voting in St. Bernard

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Oct 16 22:16:52 EDT 2007

John,

The law may be what it is, but reality is a lot different (and it may come
bite a few people on the read end this weekend).

As long as your name is on the rolls, the poll commissioner will allow you
to vote unless, and this is the biggy, unless one of the candidates
challenges your right to vote at that precinct.

At that point, the burden shifts to the voter to prove (usually with some
type of utility bill or other piece of mail) that they do live in the house
they are trying to claim as their legal residence.

I don't really know the technicalities of how a poll commissioner makes a
final decision, actually the Clerk of Court since the poll commissioner will
usually punt to the Clerk on matters like this.

>From what I can remember during my experience as a poll watcher, there are

three possible outcomes:

1) The voter proves residency and is allowed to vote
2) The voter cannot prove residency and is not allowed to vote
3) Residency cannot be decided and the voter is allowed to make a
provisional vote.

Westley