[StBernard] Governor Blanco issues statement on SCHIP vote

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Oct 19 22:16:06 EDT 2007

Governor Blanco issues statement on SCHIP vote

BATON ROUGE - Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco issued the following statement after an attempt to override President Bush's veto of legislation reauthorizing the State Children's Health Insurance Program failed in the US House of Representatives:

"I am deeply disappointed that Congress was unable to override President Bush's veto of the SCHIP reauthorization legislation. I am especially concerned that members of Louisiana's own delegation failed to comprehend the effect that this bill has on Louisiana's children. If Congress and the President are unable to quickly agree on an acceptable compromise to adequately fund the program, some 35,000 children now covered by LaCHIP will be dropped. Let's hope and pray common sense and honest compassion prevail in Washington."

###