[StBernard] The Word from Washington - Securing the Road Home Program

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Oct 26 22:17:49 EDT 2007

Dear Westley,

Hello to all my friends in south Louisiana. As October comes to a close, I
hope this newsletter finds you and your family happy and healthy. Last week
we had a busy few days in Washington, and I am happy to share with you the
work we have been doing to serve Louisiana.

Shoring up the Road Home Rebuilding Program

Rep. Melancon, Mayor Nagin, and Governor Blanco report on progress made in
securing additional federal funding from Congress for Louisiana's Road Home
Program.

Last week, I met with Governor Kathleen Blanco and New Orleans Mayor Ray
Nagin, who were traveling to Washington to meet with leaders in Congress
and the Administration to secure support for more federal funding to help
Louisiana's Road Home rebuilding program. During the visit, we met with
House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn, who is heading up support for Katrina and
Rita recovery legislation and funding in the House, and the Governor and
Mayor addressed the entire House Democratic Caucus at their weekly meeting.
Governor Blanco and Mayor Nagin also spoke with Senate Minority Leader Mitch
McConnell and met with top Administration officials. Their visit was an
important reminder to officials in Washington that Louisiana's recovery is
still ongoing and our needs are still great.

Louisiana's Road Home program has received $7.5 billion from the federal
government to date, enabling over 60,000 homeowners to rebuild their homes
from the damage and destructed caused by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita two
years ago. Earlier this summer, the state realized that there would be a
shortfall in funding for the program because the number of people eligible
to receive Road Home grants greatly exceeded what had been originally
projected by the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Unless additional
federal funding is provided by Congress, over 40,000 eligible homeowners
still in dire need of Road Home grants may not receive their rebuilding
money.

Securing additional federal money for the Road Home is one of my top
priorities in Congress, and I will continue pressuring House leadership and
my colleagues to keep their commitment to help Louisiana and the Gulf Coast
fully rebuild from the hurricanes.

So far this year, we have passed a number of bills to help hurricane-ravaged
south Louisiana rebuild. This legislation includes a waiver of the
requirement that local governments put up 10% of the cost of rebuilding
projects, an obstacle that was a huge financial burden for cash-strapped
parishes and communities in Louisiana. This Congress has also provided an
additional $6.4 billion in federal funding for levee repairs and rebuilding,
direct relief for fishermen and shrimpers, assistance for schools to rebuild
and hire and retain more teachers, and other important needs. I will
continue to work alongside leaders in Louisiana and in Congress to fight for
these much needed funds.

In closing, let me say again that serving as your representative in Congress
is a great privilege, and I will keep fighting every day for south
Louisiana's needs. Please don't hesitate to call my office in Washington, or
one of my four offices in Louisiana, if there is anything I can help you
with or if you want to share your opinion on upcoming issues in Congress. I
take your viewpoints very seriously and look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Charlie Melancon
U.S. Representative, Third Congressional District of Louisiana