[StBernard] Building a Healthy Louisiana by Attacking Drug and Alcohol Abuse

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Oct 30 22:16:09 EDT 2007

Building a Healthy Louisiana by Attacking Drug and Alcohol Abuse
A column by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco

As Governor, I have had the privilege of working with dedicated Louisianans from across our state committed to making a difference in the health and safety of our citizens and communities. Treating alcohol, tobacco and drug abuse is and must continue to be a priority if we are to create a healthier Louisiana.

In 1990, The Drug Policy Board was legislatively created and charged with eliminating drug and alcohol abuse and the damage this abuse causes to families and institutions. During my Administration, we created The Governor's Initiative to Build a Healthy Louisiana to focus on substance abuse.

This initiative identified alcohol as the priority abused substance, and 12- to 29-year-olds as the target population, in 10 parishes with inordinately high consumption and consequence levels. Through technical assistance and the newly-developed Louisiana Strategic Planning Framework Curriculum, my staff is helping these parishes to build a competent and sustainable prevention system.

The Governor's Initiative to Build a Healthy Louisiana has made significant strides in helping parishes to develop substance abuse treatment plans. We are implementing the Strategic Prevention Framework ~ State Incentive Grant (SFP-SIG), an $11.75 million investment in our state from the federal Center for Substance Abuse Prevention, a division of the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.

Leaders in Jefferson Davis, West Baton Rouge, Orleans, Lafayette, Calcasieu, Cameron, St. James, St. Mary, St. Landry and Tangipahoa Parishes have been notified of their eligibility, and agreed to participate in the SPF-SIG initiative. These parishes have received initial funding of $120,000 to develop a Parish Substance Abuse Strategic Plan. This funding will give parishes the opportunity to create a strategic plan for their parishes by analyzing data, identifying gaps and duplication of services, and aligning resources directly towards the causes of substance abuse within their communities.

As Louisiana's Strategic Planning Framework Curriculum is further developed and implemented, prevention systems in remaining parishes will be enhanced, allowing them to better combat the consequences of substance abuse. By providing funding directly to the parishes, we will give all of our citizens the opportunity to improve the health and lives of their communities.

I am proud of the work that has been completed during my administration and I look forward to the transformation that will take place in our state and communities as additional treatment dollars become available. Together, we can improve our wellbeing as we continue to build a better - and healthier - Louisiana.

###