[StBernard] Eddie Jordan's Gone, but Crime Still Remains

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Nov 2 21:46:15 EDT 2007

I think that we were all relieved by the recent resignation of Eddie
Jordan, which was an important step in restoring the District Attorney's
office to some degree of sanity. I wish his temporary successor the best
and hopefully the upcoming special election for the office will focus
attention on the serious crime problem in the area and provide a renewed
vigor to fighting it. But even though Eddie Jordan's gone, the crime still
remains.

The simple fact is that people in the area do not feel safe with crime
rampant in the city and spilling into the suburbs. Crime is the greatest
impediment to our recovery since it is difficult to attract tourism,
businesses and residents to the murder capital of the country.

I attended a recent social event in uptown New Orleans, during which several
sets of police cars raced past in reaction to one or more of the six
homicides which occurred that night. Despite all the commotion, no one
seemed to notice or to even care. Pedestrians strolled by and barely
glanced up. Cars pulled over to let the police past and then went on their
merry way.

Just another bloody Saturday night in New Orleans.

I relayed this story to Police Superintendent Warren Riley, who, along with
Eddie Jordan recently testified before the Joint Judiciary Committee of the
Legislature, upon which I serve, Based on their testimony, one would have
thought that crime fighting in New Orleans was humming along just fine.
Neither expressed any urgency about the serious crime problem we all know
exists.

Rafael Goyeneche of the Metropolitan Crime Commission also testified at the
committee hearing and stated the police department was spending a
disproportionate amount of resources on traffic and municipal offenses,
which continue to account for over half of all arrests by the police
department. In other words, according to the Metropolitan Crime Commission,
the police are spending too much time arresting the wrong people, instead of
concentrating on violent crime.

Superintendent Riley defended his department's practice of arresting people
for nonviolent offenses, stating that some may have criminal backgrounds.
Riley also blamed the high murder rate on years of social problems in the
city and mentioned that at the Annual Meeting of Police Superintendents, New
Orleans was voted tops in the nation in producing violent criminals.

Although the creation of the crime problem wasn't his fault, fighting
violent crime is certainly the Superintendent's responsibility. I realize
that Superintendent Riley's job is not easy and he's facing tremendous
challenges. But it might help if he was less defensive about the
observations of the Metropolitian Crime Commission, a well respected
organization with tremendous expertise in fighting crime. The Commission is
just trying to help.

Another crime fighting priority is includes the rebuilding of the police
complex. Police are still working out of trailers. But it's been two years
since Katrina and nothing seems to be happening, other than "meetings" about
a justice complex that would also include the DA's office. Public officials
need to come together and at least start rebuilding the crime fighting
infrastructure.

Now that the constant distractions and saga of the District Attorney's
office are over, it is time to develop a renewed focus on violent crime.
Our future depends on it.

Rep. Time Burns